Magnetic Speed Sensor Signal Conditioners - PA 20 Series:
- Extend the application range and signal distance of magnetic speed sensors.
- Convert variable reluctance sensors' low level sinusoidal signals into stable square wave pulses.
- Magnetic Speed Sensor Converter and Preamplifier Spec Sheet
SPECTEC's PA-20 series of digital preamps work with both the magnetic speed sensors and VR sensors and can be situated up to 500 feet from the magnetic sensor. These analog to digital converters take low level signal from magnetic speed sensors and translate it into stable square wave pulses. Signal conditioners allow designers to derive digital signals from sensors whose harsh or high temperature environment rules out the use of digital magnetic sensors.
SPECTEC's signal conditioners are easy to install in the field. With a variety of models offered: inline with the sensor, a puck form to fit a conduit mount explosion-proof junction box, or installed, via an adaptor, in a separate DIN rail mounting enclosure, these signal conditioners meet most major installation applications. The converter's power input covers the entire range of commonly used DC power without any selection or adjustment needed.
SPECTEC Magnetic Speed Sensor Signal Conditioner Models
Model 4021 Noise Canceling Pulse Amplifier
SPECTEC's Model 4021 Pulse Amplifier provides superior noise rejection and input signal amplification with an unmatched variety of output configurations. This rugged amplifier is specifically designed for tough pipeline, offshore platform and severe industrial applications.
The Model 4021 noise canceling pulse amplifier optimizes the performance of SPECTEC's unique 3 wire noise canceling magnetic sensor, but also provides superior performance for standard two wire variable reluctance sensors. Standard signal conditioner input sensitivity is 40 mVpp, but pulse amplifier versions with input sensitivities of 5 mVpp, 12 mVpp and 100 mVpp are available.
With the Terminal II option, the pulse amplifier has more useful features.
Terminal II can be set up as:
- An opto-isolated output signal conditioner providing increased security or;
- An On-Line mobile proving hook-up for the attachment of maintenance and calibration devices without interruption or interference to the main signal transmission.
The 4021 noise canceling signal conditioner has multiple isolated and non-isolated outputs available on any given pulse amplifier variation.
The Model 4021 signal converter's power supply input is designed to cover the 5 to 40 Vdc range of commonly available DC power, with no selection or adjustment necessary, with “load dump” protection to 60 Vdc. All inputs and outputs are fully protected against short circuits to supply or ground and reverse polarity supply leads. The power and output circuitry is protected against nearby lightning discharges.
Other features for the sensitive amplifier inputs is protection against high frequency EMI, static discharge and normal operating signals to 200 Vpp. The amplifier is also provided with overheat shutdown capability.
Model 4022 Pulse Amplifier
SPECTEC's Model 4022 Pulse Amplifier signal conditioner has two factory preset input sensitivity levels and four factory preset output configurations or a field switchable version that allows outputs of 0 - 5 V (TTL), 0 - 10V or 0 - Vs with open collector(OC). The Model IS 4022 signal conditioner is a FM Global approved Intrinsically Safe pulse amplifier.
The PA20 family of signal conditioners has five configurations that meet all the popular magnetic speed sensor preamp applications:
- Model 4021 pulse amplifier fits compactly into a GUAL-16 explosion-proof enclosure.
- Model 4022 pulse amplifier has two form factors: the smaller form fits compactly into an Appleton ELBY explosion-proof enclosure and the larger version fits into a Killark Y3 explosion-proof elbow.
- Model 4023 analog to digital converter has a puck shape that fits an Elby Y1 explosion-proof elbow for use with a conduit mount magnetic sensor, such as SPECTEC's Intrinsically Safe Model 0032
- Model 4024 In-line digital pre-amps quickly turns all magnetic speed sensors with the standard MS 2 pin connector into an active magnetic speed sensor.
- Model 4024W Compact epoxy-encapsulated module with lead wires easily integrates with many designs for custom signal conditioner applications.
Magnetic Speed Sensor Signal Conditioner/Preamplifier Characteristics:
|Freq Range:||Models 4021 & 4022: Up to 10 kHz*
Models 4023 & 4024: Up to 100 kHz*
*depending on target mass and velocity
|Package:||Model 4021: 2.5” dia. PVC puck
Model 4022: 1.47" dia. PVC puck
Model 4023: 1.25" dia. PVC puck
Model 4024: 3.5" long stainless steel inline amplifier with MS connectors
Model 4024W: 1.25" long Compact Module with lead wires
|Temp range:||Models 4021 through 4024: -40 to 220° F (-40 to 105° C)
Model 4024W : -45 to 286° F (-40 to 140° C)
Compact: -49 to 284° F (-45 to 140° C)
|Output:||0-Vsupply; 0-5 V(TTL); 0-10 V; Open Collector (NPN or PNP)|
|Supply voltage:||Model 4021: 6 - 36 Vdc
Models 4022 - 4024: 5 - 30 Vdc
Reverse polarity protection
Magnetic Speed Sensor Preamplifier Applications:
Applications of noise canceling sensors and pulse amplifiers are in industrial environments with high ambient electrical noise levels from motors, lighting or nearby RF sources.
See our Sensor Configurations page for more housing configurations, connectors, and wire lead specifications.